Course History

Open 1908 On Wednesday 10th June 1908, Mrs. John Fyfe, wife of the leading partner of the Kemnay Granite Company Ltd., formally opened the newly created Kemnay Golf Course with a beautiful well-lofted drive towards the first hole. The photograph opposite shows the Course Opening group in 1908.

In his introductory speech, the President, Mr. H.D. McCombie, had thanked Mr. John Burnett of Kemnay House for presenting the ground to the village and hoped that in a few years, if they were in a strong position as a club, they might be able to extend to eighteen holes.

Old Course However, the club had to wait almost 86 years to realise this dream. The first 'official' ball on the new course was struck on Saturday 28th May 1994 by the then Greens Convenor, Dr. Graham Young, who was instrumental in achieving the course extension. His drive was almost as expertly struck as Mrs. Fyfe's tee shot!

The scene shown opposite is taken from a postcard dated 1928 and shows the ninth green. Sadly, a few of the majestic trees, some of which were planted in 1745, have fallen victim to gales over the years. However, many still remain and provide a splendid avenue bordering the 18th fairway.

Old Committee This final photograph opposite shows members of the golf club committee between 1908 and 1914 and was donated by Mr Barron of West Sussex. His grandfather, Mr John Stewart Barron, is pictured top right.

The others figures remain un-identified at present but efforts are being made to put names to these former club officials.